Splunk is a scalable technology platform that indexes large structures of log file data to provide actionable intelligence to users, managers, and stakeholders within an IT Infrastructure.
Big Data is expanding every day and the sheer volume of alerts requires fine tuning as some platforms send too many, causing alert fatigue. Splunk provides powerful processing that will correlate data, generate metrics, and recognize patterns. Splunk serves up the most important business intelligence so you can focus on what is urgent and necessary. With Splunk you have access to real-time dashboards, graphs and visualizations used in security, compliance, application management, and business analytics.
Splunk’s proprietary algorithm architecture delivers actionable insights to derive value from Big Data.
Splunk Architecture – a peek behind the curtain
But what makes Splunk tick? How do we get from a massive amount of data into meaningful data arrays? What gives the Splunk the ability to generate powerful business intelligence to its users?
Basic Splunk Architecture Elements
- Forwarding Tier: The forwarder collects data from communicator machines, compiles a data set, and queues data forwarding. Communicator machines are any application, server, or device integrated into the platform. Forwarders include a load balancing methodology.
- Indexers: Indexers process the incoming data, then store it so it can be searched and accessed quickly and efficiently based on parameters set forth in the installation.
- Search Heads: This is where users interact with the Splunk interface. It enables users to perform searches, analyze data, set alerts, and visualize functionality via dashboards. This can be accessed from the Splunk CLI (Command Line Interface), web interface or in proprietary interfaces using Rest API. Each data store has a set authorization which will then guide the end user’s views and access.
Splunk’s Architecture Reliability and Commitment to Excellence
In addition to powerful elements that run the platform, Splunk has committed itself to following pillars of excellence in reliability.
AVAILABILITY – The system is continuously operational and able to recover from planned and unplanned outages or disruptions.
PERFORMANCE – The system can maintain an optimal level of service under varying usage patterns.
SCALABILITY – The system is designed to scale on all tiers, allowing you to handle increased workloads effectively.
SECURITY – The system is designed to protect data, configurations, and assets while continuing to deliver value.
MANAGEABILITY – The system is centrally operable and manageable across all tiers.
Splunk is a powerful platform that allows enterprises to harness the power of their data and use it to move their business through digital transformation.
The Splunk platform brings data to every initiative to reduce downtime, solve problems, and gain visibility into all aspects of your digital infrastructure.
The Windward Difference
Windward harnesses 23 years of experience and focus in Network and Operations Management to ensure IT organizations realize the full value from their investment in Splunk. We specialize in deploying and integrating the leading technologies that are associated with Splunk including ServiceNow, Resolve, VMWare, Microsoft, and Cisco. Our breadth of experience enables us to expand upon traditional Splunk analytics with use cases that institutionalize usage and deliver continual improvement. At Windward we strive to increase the value of your ITSM, data analytics and AIOps platforms by aligning your digital and IT services to business goals.
- Splunk Premier Partner since 2012
- Certified Enterprise Splunk Administrators
- Certified Splunk Architects
- Certified Splunk Consultants
Windward and Splunk A Powerful Partnership – Click here to read about Splunk Use Cases and how Windward can help you accelerate value realization for your investment in Splunk.
Listen in on a fireside chat between Sean McDermott, CEO of Windward and Andi Mann, the Chief Technology Chief Technology Advocate for Splunk as they discuss how IT leaders are adjusting to the unpredictable in 2020 and the results of Windward’s 2020 Information Technology COVID-19 Economic Impact Study.
Or check out our case study on Laying the Groundwork for a Successful Splunk Roadmap.